Saturday, July 16, 2011

Death and Dismemberment (Day 3)

Sorry for the late postings, I did not have Internet for the last couple of nghts. We pulled out of Ogden Utah at 7 am and within 5 minutes, a buck ran across the road in front of us. Now that's a wake up call! We climbed up into the Rockies and crossed the State of Wyoming. Although we started with a bit of rain, the weather cleared up for perfect riding conditions.

With the speed limit at 75, I set the cruise control at 80-83 MPH. As you can imagine, things come up pretty quick at that rate of travel. Coming out of a sweeping curve, I spied a bird standing in my lane. Remembering the advice Robert Duvall gave to Tom Cruise in the movie Days of Thunder, I held my line and aimed right for the bird. I've encountered this same situation hundreds of time and the bird always flies away with time to spare. Well not today...this bird took to flight but aimed right at me in a twisted game of chicken. The bird hit the frame of my bike and exploded. All I could see in my mirror was feathers and parts flying in all directions. That "crime scene" would have kept Masuka and Dexter busy for a long time!

Since the weather was good, we decided to put in some extra miles before stopping for the night in Nebraska. 

Mileage today = 705
Total mileage = 1538
Total number of States = 5
Bird deaths = 1

1 comment: