With the big cities behind us. the raod miles became easy with miles of corn fields and sparse traffic. Okay, maybe the miles were too easy! In the heartland of Minnesota, I apparently entered the district of a Trooper Cadet in training. Unlucky for me, the skill of the day was operation of moving radar in the opposite direction and proper methods of high speed U-Turns through tall grassy medians. Or as his Field Training Officer described it in a Minnesota accent, "I was teaching my rook how to dive the medians".
As a courtesy, I explained that I was armed (cops really like to hear this up front!). This caused the Rook a slight post-academy reaction because his hand instantly rested on the butt of his holstered firearm. Afer the Rook collected my license and insurance and closely examined my commission card it appeared he and his training officer had a short roadside meeting back at their cruiser. Actually, it looked more like a short lecture because the Rook wasn't talking, just nodding his head. The veteran returned to my bike and explained his partner was in training and they were just practicing. He suggested I slow by 1 or 2 MPH and I thnkfully agreed. Since the "business" portion of the stop was concluded, I gave the veteran a Challenge Coin. He immediately gave me one of his SWAT Unit coins and so began the shop talk. After the Rook returned and with the verteran's permission, I gave Rook a coin too. Handshakes and we were on our way.
Next stop was the famous Corn Palace in South Dakota! Each year since the early 1900's, they decorate this building with a differen't theme.
Miles today = 610
Total miles = 5,507
States visited = 23
No comments:
Post a Comment