Riding across Nebraska causes one to think, "Where is all this corn going to?" Hundreds of miles of corn fields as far as the eye can see. They say if you stand in the middle of a corn field, you can hear it growing. I'm not sure about that, but I suppose it's possible.
Temperatures climbed today and reached at least 104. You have to remember riding on asphalt in leather chaps on top of an engine pretty much doubles the heat problem. I took another page out of the infamous Dallas Earl playbook and dug my hydration pack out at a gas stop. Directions: Pack ice into hydration pack, add bottle of vitamin water, place on back, and ride! This makes all the difference and got me through the hottest part of the day.
As we crossed into Missouri, we came across a "Highway Closed Ahead" sign. And sure enough, we rode up to barricades and saw the problem. The highway had become one with the Missouri River during the floods a couple of weeks ago. It cost us at least an hour as we detoured into Kansas and finally found a bridge crossing that wasn't underwater. Crossing the river revelaed miles of flooded fields adjasent to the river. I'm guessing the flood was at least 3 miles wide. Incredible!
The good weather continuing, we put in another long day and ended up in Benton, Missouri.
Mileage today = 773
Total miles = 2310
Number of States so far = 8
No comments:
Post a Comment