Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Falling Apart (Day 2)

I left Pendleton at 8:50 this morning. The climb over the Blue Mountains was chilly and spectacular. Soon after, temps climbed into the 80's with nothing but blue sky. Harley's vibrate a lot and that's okay, it's part of the ride! Unfortunately, my heel shift lever vibrated right off the bike and I only discovered it when I went to downshift after a long stretch in sixth gear. Crap! So a side trip to the local Harley dealer and a quick install of a new shifter, I was back on the road.

Once in Idaho, the speed limit increases to 75 MPH which is great! I rumbled (and vibrated) along at a good pace today and realized it's only the Washington driver's who camp out in the left lane and slow everyone down. Why is that?

As I pulled into Ogden, Utah to meet my friends Al and Penny, I was treated with a super view of the Rockies on my left and the Great Salt Lake on my right. My timing couldn't have been better as thunder showers broke out moments after I dismounted. Whew!

I had to laugh at myself today as I rocked with my iPod to some great tunes...but just as I pulled into a gas station, the song changed to something by Celine Dion blasting on my speakers. Yeah I got some really confused looks. This happened at two of my gas stops. So much for my rough and tough Harley image. Well at least I'm living up to my Road Hogs moniker.

Today's mileage = 535
Total mileage= 830
Total Number of States= 4

iPod song of the day: Brandi Carlile- Sixty Years On

2 comments:

  1. Whoa - what a great adventure! (Hint: ditch the Celine).

    Sounds amazing - keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete